If your bowel movements change suddenly, this could be a sign of serious illness. Colon cancer also shows itself through changed stools.
Changes in bowel movements or altered bowel habits can, among other things, be signs of serious illness. For example, in the case of pancreatic cancer, the stool is usually characterized by certain characteristics. Because the fat in this type of cancer passes undigested into the stool, it is also known as predominantly oily and fatty stool. But colon cancer can also be noticed by changes in the stool.
Diagnosing Perineal Cancer: Changes in bowel movements can be a sign of a tumor
- Colorectal cancer includes cancers of the colon (colon) and rectum. Heidelberg University Hospital.
- In Germany, colon cancer is the third most common malignancy in men and the second most common after breast cancer in women.
- Every year, about 30,000 people in Germany die from colon cancer, which is the second most common cause of cancer-related deaths in both sexes.
- Regular preventive exams, especially colonoscopies, can significantly reduce the risk of dying from colon cancer.
- Symptoms of this disease include changes in bowel habits, visible and invisible blood in the stool and abdominal pain, anemia and weight loss.
- Bowel obstruction may be caused by the tumor, and metastases to the liver may be incidentally detected on ultrasound.
- Colon cancer should always be ruled out in patients with hemorrhoids who are suspected to be the cause of bloody stools.
- According to, the causes of colon cancer are: German Cancer Society Not yet fully understood, but known risk factors, according to reports German Cancer Aid Smoking, regular alcohol consumption, obesity, lack of exercise and a diet rich in meat.
- These risk factors lead to excessive proliferation of cells in the intestinal lining.
- When cell growth gets out of control, cancer eventually develops.
This article contains only general information on the respective health topic and is therefore not intended for self-diagnosis, treatment or medication. It does not replace a doctor's visit in any way. Our editorial team is not allowed to answer personal questions about medical conditions.
The author wrote this article and then used the AI language model for optimization at his own discretion. All information has been carefully checked. Learn more about our AI policies here.