King Charles III addressed the public directly for the first time since his cancer diagnosis and thanked them for their support over the past few days.
“I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the many outpourings of support and well-wishes I have received over the past few days,” Charles said in a statement from Buckingham Palace in London yesterday evening. “Anyone who has been affected by cancer knows that such kind thoughts are a great comfort and encouragement,” the statement continued.
No exact information from the palace
The palace announced on Monday that Charles had been diagnosed with cancer. During his recent hospitalization for a benign prostate enlargement, another problem surfaced, it said. Subsequent diagnostic tests may have detected a form of cancer. The King now began regular treatment. However, the doctors advised him not to attend any public meetings during this time. He will continue the affairs of state. Palace did not say exactly what type of cancer it was.
King Charles (75) has been British monarch for more than a year after his mother Queen Elizabeth II died in September 2022.