Samsung's Galaxy smartwatches have long supported all Android smartphones — even older Galaxy Watch models can be paired with iPhones. However, with new models like the Galaxy Watch 4, Galaxy Watch 5 (test) and the current Galaxy Watch 6 (test), Samsung has started removing some of the tracking functions for non-Samsung phones.
Just because you have a Google or Xiaomi smartphone won't stop you from using the core functions of the Galaxy Watch 6 or Galaxy Watch 6 Classic in 2024. You can access many more important features, e.g. B. Blood oxygen levels and heart rate monitoring – and of course, firmware updates are possible.
Which Android phones are compatible with the Galaxy Watch 6?
The smartwatch does not need to have the latest software to use the Galaxy Watch with an Android phone. However, it is always better to update to the latest version of WatchOS.
For Galaxy Watch 6 and Watch 5 models, your cell phone must be running at least Android 8.0 and have 1.5 GB of RAM. The Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 3 models can be paired with older phones running at least Android 6.0 and with at least 1.5GB of RAM.
You can instantly set up and pair your Galaxy Watch 6 with a supported Android phone. However, if the watch was previously connected to another cell phone, you must first reset the smartwatch and back up its data.
Let's start using your smartwatch. To do this, perform the following steps on the clock:
- Go to watch settings and select Generally.
- makes the choice Connect to new phone.
- makes the choice Secure data, if available. Otherwise, tap the button below.
- Wait for the Galaxy Watch 6 reset process to complete.
The next steps require you to complete the process on your phone. Below you will find step-by-step instructions:
- Download the Galaxy Wearable app from the Play Store.
- Enables Bluetooth on the smartphone.
- Press the button on the app StartYou should search for your nearest Galaxy Watch 6 on the phone.
- Once the watch is authenticated, follow the pairing instructions and pair the watch with the phone.
- During the process, a request to download a plugin will appear. Press OK to install it.
- Follow the setup and connect your Samsung account and/or Google account.
- If you have created a backup of your data, you can restore it now.
- Waiting for setup to complete.
After successful pairing, you can use most of the smartwatch functions of your Galaxy Watch 6 or Watch 6 Classic. These include customizing watch faces and complications, receiving calls, and using GPS for outdoor training.
However, some monitoring tools need to be activated before you can start recording your lives. You can access important functions like heart rate monitoring, body fat measurement, sleep analysis and blood oxygen level measurement.
Here's a list of biometric sensors and tools available on the Watch 6 for use on non-Samsung phones:
- Optical heart rate sensor
- Body fat percentage via BIA (Bioelectric Impedance Analysis)
- Temperature sensor by thermo app
- Pedometer and calorie counter
- Sleep stages and analysis
- Exercises GPS
Advanced features of Samsung Health Monitor app not working: b. ECG monitoring Menstrual cycle and blood pressure monitoring. Samsung Health Monitor app incompatibility is mentioned on Samsung's support page. Additionally, Samsung's upcoming intelligent sleep apnea detection will be exclusive to Galaxy phones.
Here are the features you won't get without a Samsung smartphone:
Even if you miss these features, the Galaxy Watch 6 is a great choice for a robust and durable wearable — even if you don't use a Samsung smartphone.
Are you using the Galaxy Watch with a non-Samsung phone? Which activities do you miss the most? Looking forward to your input!