Malta’s five-star Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay has partnered with expert photographer Gilbert Vancell to launch a new and exclusive ‘Focus on Malta’ photography holiday package. The eight-day holiday will showcase this Mediterranean island’s most beautiful locations and hidden gems, covering everything from local and ancient architecture to astrophotography and sea- and landscapes. The 2016 dates for the ‘Focus on Malta’ photography holiday are 16-23 April and 22-29 October.
The Maltese archipelago – made up of Malta, Gozo and Comino – is a photography destination waiting to be discovered, and the capital Valletta boasts the highest concentration of monuments in the world. This trip promises guests the opportunity to capture Malta’s most photogenic highlights, both natural and manmade, and to shoot local characters and craftsmen in their workshops, where, is it said, time has stood still. The exclusive tour will also grant guests private access to the island’s historic venues and locations, ensuring a unique and serene experience. Guests will be guided and accompanied by photography expert Gilbert Vancell, who is on hand to give advice and teach various techniques he employs for astrophotography and post-production.
The ‘Focus on Malta’ holiday, available on www.corinthia.com, is intended for amateur photographers and enthusiasts with an interest in culture, heritage, seascapes and landscapes. No prior expertise or experience in photography is necessary, as photography expert Gilbert will assist guests at every level. Guests are welcome to use any type or brand of camera, from a compact point-and-shoot camera, to a professional full frame DSLR with an array of lenses. The group size will between four to eight guest photographers, ensuring an exclusive and intimate experience.
Gilbert Vancell is a self-taught photographer who specialises in nature photography. Originally a graphic designer and illustrator by profession, Gilbert traded in the long hours in his studio to explore and photograph Malta’s hidden gems – hidden even from the island’s local population. A photographer with a cause, Gilbert claims “I hope that with my photography I will make more people aware of the hidden natural treasures these Islands have, and helping in preserving our natural environment and our night sky.”
The five-star Corinthia St George’s Bay is located on the coast of Malta, boasting panoramic views over the sparkling Mediterranean. Located next to the culturally and historically vibrant St Julian’s, Corinthia St George’s Bay was built around one of the thirteen seventeenth-century watch-towers. The village of St Julian’s was established initially as a fishing village, which later became a summer residence for wealthy locals and has now developed into one of the Island’s mostly sought after resort for night life and entertainment.
- Day 1 (Saturday): Arrival, transfer to Corinthia St George’s Day, and introductions over dinner at the hotel.
- Day 2 (Sunday): Sunrise at St Peter’s Pool, breakfast at Marsaxlokk Sunday market, sunset overlooking the coastline from Qrendi.
- Day 3 (Monday): Full day in Gozo shooting the Citadel, saltpans, Mgarr-Ix-Xini Fjord, local villages and the Dweijra area with the iconic Azure window.
- Day 4 (Tuesday): A morning in Mdina, the Silent City and Rabat, and an evening of astrophotography, shooting the Milky Way and star trails from a hidden spot along Malta’s coastline.
- Day 5 (Wednesday): A morning visiting The Three Cities, a private visit to St John’s Co-Cathedral in the afternoon and a twilight session at the harbour overlooking Valletta. After dinner, a post-processing session by photography expert Gilbert Vancell.
- Day 6 (Thursday): Sunrise in Valletta harbour, followed by a full day of shooting in Malta’s capital.
- Day 7 (Friday): Sunrise overlooking St Paul’s Island, afternoon visit to Siggiewi village, a sunset session overlooking the bay of Gnejna.
- Day 8 (Saturday): Breakfast, farewell, and transfer to airport.
Package price starts at €2875 (£2180) per person. To book, please see: